Thursday, January 8, 2009

Musance

Music and movement are two entities permanently interwined regardless of the instrument producing the sound. Timbres coincide with the clicking of keys as fingers slide across the mechanisms. They are constantly in motion. The body sways instinctively as the music is internalized. These movements may not be as drastic as an Indian circle dance, but they can still be classified as movement.

Dancing is a complicated art form which accompanies music. There are some people who can gracefully manuever themselves across a stage, but I am definetely not one of those people. I did try ballet during my youth and proved to be a rather good ginger bread man. However, I soon quit since it would be years before I could go on my tipiitoes and the costume was a little on the hot side. Since then I have perfected my clumsiness. At dances I hide this quality by standing in the back of the room or swaying to an unrecognizable beat. These movements tend to be similiar to the ones that I produce while playing. The classical genre is the only one which truly enthralls my internal senses although I am trying to tolerate other art forms. I have been known to bob my head, like one does listening to a hard rock song, to Bach's Badinaire. Minuets and even certain symphonies inspire a dance like movement which will only be secretly performed in my room with the blinds closed. Mostly, because it would simply be rather awkward if I began to waltz during the middle of a SPO concert.

I find it quite fascinating that dance and music are so connected that is impossible for one to thrive without the other. It would be very interesting to trace the roots of this penomenon to determine whether it is truly an instinct we recieve at birth or a cultural development. The combination works rather well as music occupies the brain and dance satisfies the body. Boredom is quite difficult in this situation verses just sitting in a stiff metal seat or flailing ones arms. As a performer these aspects are always alive, but the listener must imagine within the gaps.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you write! I am also a dancer-behind closed, heavy curtains. Do you ever find that when you try to force yourself to move with music that it becomes more awkward than otherwise? I generally move when I play, but if I am nervous or feel pushed to move, it often ends up more jerky than if I just let go and don't try.

    ReplyDelete