Thursday, January 15, 2009

Graduation, Parades, and Bagpipes

Rite: A set form for conducting a ceremony; literage of a chuch; or a ceremonial act or action.

Certain pieces have been heard by every individual during their lifetime, and surprisingly enough I am not talking about any by the Beetles or Elvis. Instead, I refer to pomp and circumstance and other processional songs replayed every year at graduation, welcoming ceremonies, etc. For musicians, the first thing that comes to mind is probably tired lips and heavy fingers from repeating the song only twenty times. However, it has much more significance for people walking down the aisle. At my high school graduation, I felt truly relieved and thrilled allowing the music to sink in with the realization that I had actually completed a large section of my life. The moment would not have been the same without the music symbolizing this important achievement. At the same, I was sad not to be playing in the cramped area of the aisle to the left immediately in front of the stage. However, we were still required to sing in the choir. It would have been quite easy to spot me as I was the only person in the choir not wearing black, because this would not be a morbid day. This day signified the end of a new beginning, and that ideal was real for me the moment I heard the strings begin the processional.

Just as we marched down the aisle, I can also remember marching down the cold street in the Christmas Parade of 2000. This was my first and only experience of marching band. It is also a loose association of rites following a ceremonial procedure to celebrate a holiday. However, every year most towns and cities celebrate this tradition with a parade full of floats, horses, and marching bands or band in this instance. Although, this was a very small parade, the bigger ones that I viewed on TV often have music which accompanied the floats. In fact, I couldn’t imagine a parade without music which pulls the ensemble together. Again this incorporates music that everyone should recognize regardless of their religion. These parades bring the community together for hundreds hover before the street each here to lift there spirits. The music in this instance really formulates the joyous atmosphere of this occasion.

Another joyous occasion and stereotypical rite are weddings. I can only remember one of the three weddings I have attended. I can remember two things being only about 12 yrs old at the time. The first is the bride floating down the aisle holding roses in a cleared glass arena of a botanical garden. The second is a bagpiper playing on a cement patio nearby playing before the wedding and after while we stood in line to receive the food. The music was fascinating and unique to hear the unique melodious screech. The only other time, I remember hearing the bagpipes was at my Grandpa’s funeral. Therefore, I associate bagpipes with weddings and funeral rituals. Perhaps, not the instrument that one would expect as most choose strings. However, this instrument surely has a unique flare.

In our culture, music surrounds us during our day no matter where we might be: eating, shopping, church, etc. Therefore, the main question should not be the importance of music, but which type of music is associated with what occasion. The type of music elevates the circumstance for a tear jerking wedding, funeral, graduation, or seeing a family member march in their first parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment